Kutztown Lions Club History
The club was organized with twenty charter members and held it's first meeting on July 14th
1939. They looked at the community's needs and in 1943 undertook the first major project,
the Kutztown Lions Community Ambulance. Rather than resting on it's laurels the club took
on many other projects as well; purchasing jackets for the school's band,
International Youth Exchange, purchasing park equipment, sponsoring the Lions Quest Drug
and Alcohol Awareness program for the Kutztown School system, Kutztown Boy Scouts,
Scholarship Awards, and giving support to the Lions International projects such as Beacon
Lodge Camp for the Blind, Leader Dog School, PA. Eye Research and L.C.I.F.
The club made contributions and offered challenges to the other clubs to get various
projects off the ground.
Funding to support the above projects mainly came from the Merchandise Club, Bag Bulb
and Broom Sales, and the operation of the food concession stand at the Kutztown
The Clubs meetings are held on the first and third Thursday of the month at 6:30 PM in the
Kutztown Fire Company, excluding the months of July and August when outdoor events are
1939 - 1940
There were originally 20 charter members
The first meeting was held July 14, 1939, with Charter Night held on September 8th in the
Kutztown Park with sponsoring Reading Club in charge of the program.
The first act of community service was rendering assistance to the Recreation Board who
was sponsoring a band concert by the United States Marine Band on Nov. 4, 1939.
The first Christmas Party was attended by 300 kiddies at a movie party Christmas afternoon.
On Feb. 8, 1940, 431 Lions and friends took part in a Hershey Hockey excursion via
The Lions Club movie of local merchants and towns folk produced in March, 1940, netted
the club $190.45
The first member to be dropped from the Kutztown Lions Club roster was Dr. John R. Bower,
a Charter Member.
Seven 100% of the 20 members was reported at the end of the first year of activity.
1940 - 1941
First clambake held Aug. 1940, with the Topton and Fleetwood Clubs also participating.
Entered a float in the Fleetwood and Kutztown Halloween Parade.
First Ladies Night was held at Monterey Inn, Feb., 1941.
Membership June 1941 - 19, loss of 1.
MORE TO COME